Wednesday 28 November 2012

From A Room With A View ...

I cannot believe where this month has gone to ... it has simply flown by ... and Christmas is almost upon us once again.

When I started this blog I promised myself that I would blog at least once a week and almost a month has gone by since I did so I hang my head in shame ...

So, what have I been up to I hear you say ... Well, I have managed to complete the bedroom make - over and all that remains for me to do now is make the patchwork curtains and get shelves up but the drill has broken and there are no funds in the pot at the moment to replace it so they will have to wait.

It is also a year (on the 26th) since my mom passed away suddenly so I have been a bit melancholy for the past few days and tomorrow would have been her birthday too. It has also been the month that saw 16 year old Miss J tell a boy that she liked him as more than a friend as he has liked her for a few years now and had almost given up so he is very happy! It is also a few weeks closer to Master J returning from a term at university in Finland and in fact he will be home three weeks today. To say I am excited is THE understatement of the year!!

November has also seen me making Christmas cards, decorations, gifts and start planning a possible change in direction for me next year. As much as I want to continue selling the things I make I am finding it increasingly difficult. I sell on Etsy and Folksy but have barely sold enough to cover my costs this year. I also have a business page on Facebook and although I have almost 1000 likers and people always say they like my things it just doesn't seem to help sales. I don't know whether to start doing craft fairs or not. My prices are very reasonable I think compared to some sellers who charged £85 upwards for a cushion but seem to sell a lot of them ... the jury is out at the moment but I need to come up with a better way to make some sort of living ... any ideas and tips gratefully welcomed ...

So ... a few pictures of what I have been up to ...


My patchwork wall which I LOVE!!!


I do love a bit of bunting don't you?


A bit of order at long last above Mr Handemade Lifestyle's wardrobe as all my crafting things were just shoved up there but I "borrowed" Master J's vintage suitcases and hid my stash in them instead.


My corner of vintage delights ...


A very small stack of my many books of deliciousness ... I really must get the shelves painted as well tut tut!


A few more of my handmade moss stitch scarves ... I have sold the last batch so only have these three left at £15 each.


Some painted pebbles have also been completed this month as well as ...


Jars of Christmas Chocolates for a friend's children as well as my own. I just need to do a vegan one for Miss J.


Christmas decorations were made for a Christmas swap over on Faith, Hope & Charity Shopping's blog.


A selection of covered 2013 diaries and notebooks have also been made and are priced £5.50 plus p&p.


And finally, some poppies were knitted and the money donated so all in all quite a productive month after all. Next on the to do list is a bag for my friends daughter for Christmas as well as a cushion for a friend and something for my sister as well ... best get back to it then ... thanks for reading this and I promise not to leave it so long between posts again xx












2 comments:

  1. I've been busy myself, so haven't visited for a while. I was thinking about what you said regarding not having many sales in your online shops. It is possible you are not pricing your items high enough. Years ago, my sons' stepdad, who is an artist, was creating gorgeous etchings and I was selling them at the Inner Harbour in Victoria, BC. Our idea was that many people were poor like us and loved good art, but could not afford it. So we priced the etchings so that anyone could buy them. Hardly any sold. The next year, we priced to match the market and had great sales. So it's a thought, anyway. I hope you do go on, as I love your items. I'm out of work just now, so have limited my purchases to materials and necessities.
    Best of luck; I love your blog. ~ Linne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment. You may well be right as regards my prices as a few people have commented the same and it does seem a bit ridiculous to not buy something for less when you would pay more but I am beginning to think that you may be right so I am going to give it a try. I have a batch of granny chic aprons that are near completion so I will try it out on them.

    ReplyDelete